How are you doing? Today is Pday and it has been a crazy one!
So this week flew by for me! You will get a letter today or tomorrow that probably sounds like I am sad or something. But don’t worry I am not!! I love being a missionary! The language is really the only thing that gets me down.
I learned a very important lesson about pride this week. Before I came out to the mission field I decided that I was going to be the best at the language! HAHA. I think I was crazy. I thought because I would be so much older and mature I would be able to learn faster. Not to mention I have a college degree. BUT, I'll admit I am probably the worst in my district, maybe the whole CTM. My comp isn’t much better, but she has a great accent. Anyway, I have been feeling a little down about that. So my teacher Irma Gaspar gave us a short lesson about Pride and about how we need to be humble. She shared a story about a missionary coming home from his mission and how you could tell by his outward appearance that he had served with all his might. You could tell he had represented the Savior with all his heart and that he helped so many people. She said we need to be like the Savior and let go of our pride and be humble. The Savior let people spit on him and mock him; yet he never said a word. He just let it happen because he loves us so much. Irma Gaspar said Pride would ruin our mission. Pride is the cancer of our missions and our lives. It will destroy us. That hit close to home because I wanted to be the best at the language and the best missionary.
I really love the scripture Alma 26:12. I cannot boast of my own strength, but I will boast of my God. Pride seriously ruins everything. Think of the things we would do in our life if we would just let our pride go. Think of the families that would be made whole again. Think of all the people we would forgive. We need to let go our pride and be humble! Sorry it seems like every week I learn something new. So you make a long story short...I let go of my pride this week and I have never spoken so much Portuguese! Sure it is horrible but at least I am trying! The title of my email means to open my mouth. It has been helping a lot and I have faith that one day I will be able to express myself to these people and they will understand what I am saying! I can’t wait for that day when it just flows out of my mouth!! I can understand a lot and I can correct other people’s grammar but I can’t speak. But I will keep opening my mouth!
We get to go proselyting this week, Friday! I am so excited but nervous. My comp struggles with the language also; she always turns to me to help understand something. So I have a feeling proselyting will be challenging. But I have Faith the Lord will help us and we will know what to say. I am excited to finally do some real missionary work! Well that really sums up the week.
Our favorite Elders left on Friday so it has been a little boring without them. The American Elders and Sisters are slowing disappearing out of the MTC. There are more missionaries that should be here but, they are all in Provo waiting for their Visas. Sister Adam’s leaves next week and that makes me way sad. I just love her. No Brazilians sisters arrived for Manaus, so I will be traveling alone with six elders. Yikes. My favorite Brazilian sister left today. She would always call me Carrot and give me kisses. I just love these people!
So, I need to lose ten pounds out of my suitcase before I travel to Manaus. I need to either mail things home or give them to sisters here. I think they will be too hot for Manaus. Sister Adam's is taking my blow-dryer so that takes some weight away. Wow! I still can’t believe I will be there in two weeks.
Well have a fabulous week! I love you all so much and pray for you all the time!!
Talk to you next week!
Love,
Sister Degen
PS.Melissa’s baby is beautiful!! Tell her congrats for me! And tell all the family I say hello!
Here are some fun pictures:
Two Elders from Manaus! They were so nice and would always tell me I need to run fast when I see the indigenous people!
Trying to scare my roomies!
My favorite Brasilian sister Fernie. She is the one who calls me carrot.
My favorite Sisters dressed up for Halloween! Yes, pretty lame costumes!
No comments:
Post a Comment