(Note from Cindy & Rondo - in our last email to Crystal we forwarded an email from one of her best friends, Jenna who told Crystal she is going to be Baptized in November. We just wanted to share this joy with everyone who reads this blog.)
Dear Family & Friends,
Wow, I am so happy for Jenna right now!! I just started bawling as I read her email. Funny thing is a few weeks ago I was praying about missionary stuff and all of a sudden Jenna’s name popped in my head. I sat there for a few minutes trying to figure out what it meant. I had this strong feeling that something was changing in her life, but I had no idea what it was. I could tell that Heavenly Father wanted me to pray for her because He loves her so much!! So, I started praying for her and asking Heavenly Father to help her find happiness. I am so excited for her to be baptized. I know this decision will change her life and bring her so much happiness!! I wish so badly that I could be there to support her and give her a big hug! I am so thankful I have you two to go for me! Wow, reading that email just made me even more excited for the field!
This week was amazing! Proselyting was an awesome experience! We took a van into a busy part of the city. They just dropped us off and left, luckily our teacher was with us! So she said go talk to people. It was so hard to just start talking to random people. I thought I would see little green arrows over the people who wanted to learn more about this gospel. Ha ha, boy was I wrong. The best part about not knowing the language is when people reject you and say not nice things, I have no idea what they are saying, ha-ha. Oh, the night before we started proselyting, I said a prayer and asked Heavenly Father to help me be able to express my feelings to the people and have them be able to understand me. BUT I forgot to pray to be able to understand them! So whenever you are praying make sure you are direct with what you are asking the Lord because then He will be able to help you faster! Sometimes we make prayer so complicated, but if we were more careful in our prayers the Lord would answer them faster :). Anyway so I was able to talk to the people but I couldn’t understand a word they were saying to me. We gave away our first Book of Mormon within ten minutes, but then we got shy and stopped talking to people. And just walked around. I finally got sick of being scared and started talking to lots of people. The place we were at was just like New York City! I have never seen so many people. Anyway, so we passed out two copies of the Book of Mormon and some pass along cards (we made them ourselves b/c missionaries aren’t allowed to have them, only members). To be honest I wasn’t enjoying proselyting, but we had one Book of Mormon left. It was the one I brought from home. So I said a little prayer to help me enjoy proselyting more and find the person who needed this book. So, we were walking in the park and I saw a woman just sitting by herself on a bench. As soon as I saw her the Lord seriously made my legs walk right up to her. The words just started following out of my mouth. I asked her, her name and some other questions. Then I started testifying about the Book of Mormon. She asked me what made our church so different and I told her that families can be together forever. Then a member came up and talked to her. I then invited her to read the Book of Mormon and she said she would. So we walked away and went to talk to some other people in the park. I looked back thirty minutes later and guess what?? She was still sitting there reading the Book of Mormon. I started dancing for joy!! I could tell that woman was searching for something just by the look in her eyes! Man this gospel is great and it really does change lives!! I just love it!
Anyway I better go, today is our last pday and it super crazy. I still can’t believe I will be in Manaus in a week! We are now the oldest people in the CTM. I will be needing your prayers these next few weeks because I know they are going to be the hardest weeks of my life!! I was reading in Alma 31:37-38- Alma is getting ready to preach to the Zoramites with his brethren. Basically he says they just forget themselves and the Lord will give them strength to overcome all obstacles! Read it! Alma was an amazing missionary. If we just forget ourselves and serve the Lord with all our hearts, He will always make up for the rest! I love you both so much!! I’m not sure when my Pday will be next week, so just keep an eye out on your email.
Oh, I got four letters this week, two from you mom with talks and stuff (yes I like that keep sending them), one from cute cousin Tara and one from Aunt Katherine!
Have an amazing week!! Love you loads!
Sister Degen!
Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
aaaaaahhhhhhh! I am so so so excited for her to get out of the training center and into the "real world" of missionary work. She is going to continue learning and growing. Every week I look forward to her letters and testimony she truly is my little light! Love you guys.
Tara
Post a Comment